Rep. Holt's nominees for appointment to the Military Service Academies are selected on a competitive basis, using criteria determined by the Academies to be indicative of one's potential for success as a Cadet, Midshipman or Airman. (Note: There are no congressional nominations to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.) Each Member of Congress is given a limited number of vacancies to fill for each Academy and 10 nominations are allowable for each vacancy. The nominees must be citizens of the United States and reside in the 12th Congressional District of New Jersey.
Each Congressional Office uses a selection process that is designed to meet its own needs and standards. The different procedures are often confusing to applicants who apply to more than one office. Last-minute misunderstandings can be avoided by carefully studying and following the instructions of each office.
1. Residency: Applicant must be a U.S. citizen and a legal resident of the 12th Congressional District.
2. Application Form and Photograph: An application form (provided by Rep. Holt’s office) must be completed in full and sent along with a photograph of the candidate.
3. Recommendation Form: A recommendation form (provided by Rep. Holt’s office) must be completed by your school guidance counselor or principal and returned by them to Rep. Holt’s District Office in West Windsor, NJ.
4. Transcript: An official transcript of your high school record, through the end of your junior year, must be submitted along with your class rank (if available).
5. College Boards: The Service Academies require the SAT or ACT for all potential candidates. All available scores should be sent to my office.
6. Qualifying Medical Examinations: The individual academies will recommend the scheduling of medical examinations by the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board after receipt of the pre-candidate questionnaire, which is used to open a pre-admission file at the academy of your choice. There is no cost to the candidate for this examination.
7. Additional Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation from non-family members must be submitted, addressed to Rep. Holt at his District Office in West Windsor, NJ. These letters should emphasize the candidate's proven abilities in the areas of physical training, leadership potential, and extra-curricular activities.
8. Essay: Candidates are required to write an essay (approx. 200-300 words) on their reasons for wanting to attend a Service Academy.
Please click here to view a printable version of Rep. Holt’s Information Packet. Please click here to view a printable version of the Application and other forms. Should you have any further questions about the nominations process, please call Rep. Holt’s District Office at (609) 750-9365. Please click below for direct links to the Service Academy websites.